General Exams Information 2020-21
Subject and Board Information
Please click on the link below for the list of the exam boards that we are currently using. This list is correct for exams in 2020/2021, but please be aware that we occasionally change exam boards from one year to the next. If your child is not taking exams in this current academic year, they may study a different specification.
Centre Specific Information
Backwell School produces an Examination Information Booklet for students and parent/carers. Every student taking exams will be given their own copy prior to the exams. This booklet contains vital information about the exams process, including what to do if you are ill or late, as well as information about results and certificates.
Further general exams information and FAQs can be downloaded by clicking on the links below:
Access arrangements may be awarded to allow candidates with specific needs to access assessments. The Education Support department deals with all aspects relating to access arrangements and will notify students and parents/carers of any arrangements that have been awarded as appropriate. The links below provide further information.
Summer 2021 Exam Season
A summary of the Ofqual announcement on grading for GCSE, AS, A Level and Vocational qualifications: For parents and carers of students in Years 11, 12 and 13
How will students' grades will be worked out?
- Graded by teacher judgement
- No algorithm will be used
- Teachers will tell students what evidence is used to grade them
- Students will only be assessed on what they have been taught
What evidence will be used?
- Assessments, trial exams and work students have completed can be used as evidence
- Results will also be based on future work and assessments students will complete so they should keep doing their best
- Non-Exam Assessments (NEAs) can be used
- Art and design grades are based only on student's portfolio
- Teachers can also use question banks provided by exam boards
When will students receive their results?
- A level and AS level results on Tuesday 10 August
- GCSE results on Thursday 12 August
Is there an appeals process?
- If a student is unhappy with a grade, they can appeal it. The first step would be appealing to the school.
Will there be an opportunity to sit these exams in the future?
- There will be a full series of examinations for students to take in all subjects and qualifications should they want which would be held in the autumn of 2021
Results Days 2021
AS and A level results day - Tuesday 10 August
GCSE results day - Thursday 12 August
JCQ Information - Exam Rules and Regulations
The Joint Council for Qualifications (JCQ) also issue guidance for students taking exams. It is important that all students taking exams are familiar with the content of these documents. They are valid for all 2020/21 exam seasons.