Travel to School
North Somerset Council Home-to-School Transport
For the majority of students travelling to Backwell School from within the school's catchment area (Cleeve, Claverham and Yatton) transport is provided by the Local Authority. This may be either by school bus or, in the case of older students, by train or public bus.
For full details regarding eligibility and how to apply for a transport pass, please see the North Somerset website by clicking on the link below. Alternatively, please call the School Transport Team on 01934 634 715
To view or download North Somerset Council's timetable for school buses to Backwell School, please click on the following link to Home to School Transport Routes page and click on the 'Mainstream Secondary School Timetable'. You will find timetables for Backwell School on
pages 2 - 6.
Out-of-Catchment Coach Service
In addition to the service provided by the Local Authority, the school currently runs a paying coach service covering South Bristol and Long Ashton. It is our intention as far as possible to accommodate every student wishing to use the service, however places are limited and are therefore offered on a first-come-first-served basis.
Application for a replacement coach pass, bus or train season ticket
If your child is eligible for Home to School transport and has lost their travel pass or season ticket, you will need to contact North Somerset Council to organise a replacement. There is likely to be an administration fee for this, so please do encourage your child to keep their transport passes safe.
North Somerset Council's School Transport Team
Travel to School Information September 2023 onwards
Coach Transport to School - organised by North Somerset Council
- For those living in Yatton, Cleeve, Claverham and others outlying areas of our catchment area will have their transport to school organised by North Somerset Council.
- North Somerset Council will be in contact directly with families with bus passes, bus stops and collection times during the summer holidays.
- Your child must bring their bus pass with them each day, and MUST use their allocated bus. This means they cannot catch a different bus home to go to a friends house for example.
Coach Transport to School - organised by Backwell School
- The School has organised parent funded coach to school for those living in Long Ashton and Bristol (the application process for this took place in June 2022).
- Mr Middleton has already contacted parents with information relating to their applications and details on collection points and times and payment schedules.
- Students must have their bus pass at all times.
The route timetable for the out-of-catchment service for 2022-23 can be found here.
What to do if the coach is late ...
If a coach is late all students are required to remain at the bus stop until the coach arrives. This applies to both the Local Authority provided buses and the out-of-catchment coach service. In the event of a coach breakdown, a replacement vehicle will be sent as soon as possible. The school posts alerts and updates via Twitter, @Backwell_School, and on the school website, as soon as we become aware of a delay.
The school is currently running a late bus facility for students who stay after school to take part in clubs, courses and other school activities. This service is free of charge and operates on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday and leaves school at 4.30 pm.
The route covers (in this order and subject to demand) Cleeve, Claverham, Yatton and Kingston Seymour, Long Ashton, then Winterstoke Road in Bristol, finishing in Bishopsworth (BS2 route). Students who normally use the BS1 bus should use the service to Winterstoke Road and/or Bishopsworth and arrange to be picked up from there. Unfortunately we are unable to include Nailsea and Failand in the late bus service.
Behaviour Guidelines for Coach Users
It is important to maintain standards of behaviour when using transport to school. Please see our Student Code of Conduct information sheet, together with advice and guidance regarding responsibilities for parents and carers
Park and Stride
Cars are not allowed on site to drop off or collect students at the start or the end of the school day.
North Somerset Council will be applying traffic enforcement measures on Meadow Close and many of the roads leading off Station Road and parents must not use the Backwell Leisure Centre car park for collecting and dropping off their children.
Parents must also be mindful of residents in the local area, please do not park in neighbouring roads to collect your child. Local residents will contact the police if parked vehicles are causing an obstruction or nuisance and you will be liable for a fine if you break traffic enforcement restrictions.
We are delighted that we have a new collaboration with local businesses. The following two locations will allow parents to use their car parks at both morning drop-off and afternoon collection times:
- The Rising Sun, West Town, BS48 3BH
- Nailsea and Backwell Railway Station, Station Road, BS48 3LH
In addition, the following business will allow parents to drop off in the morning only (please do not use it for collection):
- The George at Backwell, Farleigh Road, BS48 3PG
Students being dropped off on the A370 (The Rising Sun and The George) are asked to enter the school via the pedestrian gate next to the Leisure Centre. Only those being dropped off at the railway station should enter via Meadow Close.
- Students are encouraged to cycle to school where possible.
- Cyclists must ensure they bring a cycle lock to school and wear a helmet whilst on their bike.
- All students coming from the A370 should use the pedestrian gate next to the leisure centre to enter the school site.
Sixth Form Students
- There are a few car parking spaces for Sixth Form students on the school site. Students will need to speak to the Sixth Form Office about applying for a permit to use these spaces.
- If your child is driving to school, but not parking on site, they need to park safely and respectfully if they are using residential roads surrounding the school.